- You Are Here:
- Your Government
- City Manager
- City Departments
- Departments A - E
- City Clerk
- Election Information
- Candidate & Campaign Information
Candidate & Campaign Information
All election materials will be issued by the City Clerk. Candidates are required to obtain signatures of 20 registered voters of the City of Hesperia on their official nomination papers. Candidates are not charged a filing fee to run for political office. All required papers must be filed prior to the end of the nomination period with the City Clerk. For more information or to schedule an appointment to receive nomination forms, please call the City Clerk's Office at (760)947-1026. The City of Hesperia consolidates with the San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters Office to conduct the City's elections.
Nomination Filing Period Information
The Registrar of Voters Office:
- Prepares the ballot and voter guide
- Provides for the translation of all election materials into Spanish and other languages as required
- Arranges for the printing and mailing of all necessary voter information
- Recruits and hires poll workers
- Obtains all polling places
- Counts ballots and post-election activities such as canvassing the returns and certifying election results
- Coordinating with the Registrar of Voters
- Issuing and accepting of nomination papers
- Verifying signatures on the petition
- Publishing necessary legal notices
- Monitoring campaign disclosure filing requirements
- Serving as liaison to candidates and the community
- Issuing the Certificates of Election to the successful candidates
Campaign reporting schedules and forms can be obtained from the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC).
For all FPPC manuals, please visit the FPPC Manual website.
General Requirements Candidates running for office must be:
- A United States citizen
- At least 18 years of age
- A resident and registered voter in the City of Hesperia at the time the nomination papers are file
City Council Ordinance related to campaign contribution limits and regulations
The City of Hesperia did not have campaign contribution limits or regulations prior to 2020. California State Assembly introduced and passed Assembly Bill No. 571 which imposed a default campaign contribution limit upon cities and counties without campaign contribution limits beginning January 1, 2021. Elections Code Section 10202 and Government Code Section 85702.5 further permitted the City of Hesperia to establish its own campaign contribution limits that are different from what is established by resolution or ordinance.
City Council Ordinance No. 2020-05, adding Chapter 2.32 (Campaign Contribution Limits and Regulations) to Title 2 of the Hesperia Municipal Code and limiting individual contribution to a candidate for selective city office to $500 with the exception of candidate’s own contributions of the candidate’s personal funds to candidate’s own campaign was duly adopted by the City Council of the City of Hesperia, California at a Regular Meeting thereof held on the 5th day of May 2020.
For additional resources, please visit our Candidate Resources page.